Suede sofas are a luxury to have at home. They are elegant, classy, nice to look at, and most importantly – comfortable. Making such an investment for your home is a great choice. Finding a food stain on them can be devastating, seeing as suede care is so tricky. Not to mention, it is easy to permanently damage suede. That’s why Crown Cleaners are here to teach you how to clean your suede sofa.
Before you start cleaning your suede couch, there are a few things you will need to acquire. Here is our shortlist of things you will need:
- Furniture cleaner specifically for suede;
- A suede rubbing cloth;
- A suede napping brush;
- A vacuum cleaner;
- A dry sponge;
- A waterproofing spray or stain repellent (optional).
It is vital to equip yourself with suede-specific furniture cleaner. Suede is a delicate material, and any other type of furniture cleaner will cause it damage. The waterproofing spray and stain repellent are optional, but will definitely help to protect your suede sofa, making it more durable.
How to Clean your Suede Sofa
Now you are fully equipped and ready to tackle your suede sofa, here are our tips on how to clean your suede sofa. We have divided the tasks into weekly and monthly cleaning chores. This will help you be organised and teach you about suede care.
- Vacuum first. It is important to always hoover your suede couch before attempting to clean it. Any cleaning products over dirt could soil the couch, staining it forever.
- Now get your suede friendly stain repellent and spray the entire surface of your settee. You may need a few coats for it to work properly.
- It is a good idea to remove your cushions every week and hoover any dust and dirt trapped in the corners of your suede couch.
- After hoovering your couch, brush down both sides of the cushions with your suede brush. This will remove any stubborn dirt that you missed with the vacuum.
It is important to incorporate these weekly chores into your weekly cleaning checklist. This will ensure your suede sofa will maintain tip-top condition.
As long as you have managed your weekly tasks accordingly, you should be able to finish your monthly tasks in no time. The monthly chores are extremely important. You should never skip them if you want to keep the appearance and hygiene of your suede settee impeccable.
- First off, vacuuming. Pick up all the cushions and vacuum the hard to reach spots as well.
- Hoover both sides of every cushion. If you criss-cross the direction, this will help remove any stubborn dust.
- Now get some cornstarch or soda bicarb and sprinkle it over the surface of your suede couch.
- Leave it to sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Vacuum again.
- If there are any stains, get your suede-specific furniture cleaner and a dry sponge. Lightly moisten the sponge and dab the area gently.
- Get a clean damp cloth and wipe up the cleaning detergent.
- Now get a cloth to soak up excess moisture.
- When it drys, get your suede rubbing cloth and use it to rub both sides of the cushions. This will keep your suede sofa in mint condition.
Need Professional Upholstery Cleaners?
Despite all your hard work, sometimes your upholstered furniture needs professional care and attention. Professional upholstery cleaners have years of hands-on experience. They also have access to products that aren’t available on the shelf. Feel free to contact us and get your free quote. Our professional team is always ready to give a helping hand.
Check out also: How to Clean Upholstery Without a Machine.